Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

My issue with the bank is currently in litigation. Can the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) help me?

Generally, no.

The OCC cannot intervene in matters that are in or pending litigation or that have been litigated. You may file a written complaint that may be forwarded to the bank on your behalf. However, if the bank responds that your issue is in litigation, then it is inappropriate for the OCC to be involved in the case.

The OCC is not authorized to review the merits of a judicial decision. The OCC examines national banks and federal savings associations to ensure their compliance with specific statutes within the OCC's delegated authority. You may want to seek the advice of a licensed attorney if you need legal assistance. If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you may qualify for free or reduced-cost legal services. Visit the Legal Services Corporation website for more information.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us