Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

Can the OCC help me solve a problem with a state-chartered bank?

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) does not supervise state-chartered banks. Depending on the nature of the problem, you should contact the relevant state attorney general or state banking department.

Links to state attorneys general can be found on the website of the National Association of Attorneys General.

The Conference of State Bank Supervisors lists state banking department links.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us