Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

How do I serve process on a bank?

You should seek legal assistance about process service. The answer varies by state law and by court.

In general, a litigant could consider whether the bank maintains an agent for service of process within a particular state, although national banks and federal savings associations may not necessarily have registered agents in each state. A litigant also could consult the relevant court's rules for serving process on an out-of-state corporation that does not maintain an agent for service of process.

If you need the bank's address, you may want to go to the FDIC's website ( Select "BankFind" in the right-hand corner.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us